Wednesday, August 20, 2014

El granero. - The Barn

miércoles, 20 de agosto de 2014

El granero = The barn.

El granero = barn
En frase = In phrase.

El granero es viejo y grande. = The barn is old and large.

El granero is also sometimes called an establo.  I suppose if it's filled with grain granero is appropriate, and if it's full of livestock it would be safe to call it an establo like we use the term stable as in a horse stable.

Bonus phrase.

El cielo está nublado. = The sky is cloudy.

Note : O.K. this es y está are one of those things that really confuse the heck out of me. I'm getting better with it, I think, but here's a tip to help use the two properly.

El granero es viejo y grande. Is considered a permanent state so you use es. In other words the barn is always going to be old and large. It is in a non changing state.

El cielo está nublado. Is considered a changing state. The sky is cloudy now but the sky could be sunny later. So you can use está when things are in a changing state.

This is just one example of when to use es y está . I read this tip somewhere and it has helped me somewhat but I still get it wrong from time to time but hopefully I got it right now in this blog post ;) There are other occasions when you change it up, but I'm going to leave that for another blog post when I have a better understanding of these two words.

If you have any tips or a better explanation of es y está please leave a comment and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment