Friday, July 25, 2014

I Should Probably Write Something

 I've had this blog a little over 3 months now and I haven't written anything personal. Here is  a little information about me and why I decided to start this blog.

I've had a love affair with the Spanish language for some time now. I live in Buffalo N.Y. and I've lived in Nevada as well. Both places have large Spanish speaking communities. Around 1999 when I moved to Nevada I decided I wanted to learn a second language and decided on Spanish. I feel it's almost a second language anyway in America. I studied, and practiced for a couple years and then just lost interest.

About a year and a half ago I started practicing again. I told myself I would continue to find ways to make it interesting, and not lose interest this time. That is part of the reason for this blog. The blog is really keeping me on my toes and helps me use the language at least once a day.

So its been about a year and half and I'm finally to the point where I was when I quit studying around 2002. Most things I read, I get a general understanding of, if I'm watching t.v. I get the general gist and understanding of what's going on. I'm still having a hard time with Spanish humor though . All in all though, I'm starting to get a good understanding of it all.

My goal now is to get fluent. I'm having trouble with verb conjugation, and find es y está muy confuso. The use of is and is , is very confusing but I'm learning. Slowly, each day that I practice it gets a little easier and a little less confusing. The more you use it the more you learn.

My day consists of about a half hour of study in the morning with the babbel app on my phone. (I've heard the new version of babbel app is terrible, so I deactivated the upgrade on my phone. The old version rocks ! ) I spend at least an hour a day on the blog post. I usually watch about an hour a day of Spanish language television and then at night I listen to a Spanish lesson from the Coffee Break Spanish podcast. Coffee Break Spanish use to be free but now they charge for the podcast downloads, I'm really glad I downloaded them all before they changed.) All though I have to admit since summer started I've been slacking on my podcast listening and t.v. time.

All this really has helped a lot. Over the last ten years there are just so many new Spanish learning resources on the internet. I'm going to be adding a page of all the free sites I find soon.

 I think I'm going to start doing a monthly review, along with a personal post each month. Anyway, this ends my personal post for the month. Like you , I'm learning. Hope you find the information here useful, and if you have any good free resources that can be found on the internet please post a link in the comments.

Gracias por leer. (Thanks for reading)
Que tengas un buen día (have a good day)






No comments:

Post a Comment